First tattoo

OK, I have pics of the tattoo. It’s not all that easy to take a picture of ones own lower back. Of the dozen pics I took I’m posting the clearest one, and the best one that has the complete design.

Larger pictures open in new window

Clear
Full

I described the design in a previous post, and I did find a suitable substitute for the noose. Andy told me about an item from Tibet, “A ritual dagger or phurpa is symbolically used to kill demons, thus releasing them to a better rebirth.” Pharpa’s are used for symbolically removing obstacles. and is a better idea than the skeleton key I would have gone with.

Did it hurt?
Yes, it hurt. It felt like I was being scraped with an X-acto knife. But after a few minutes I got used to the pain. The worst part was holding the same position for three hours.

How much did it cost, and who did it?
$300 and I went with Bill Kiefer at Chronic Tattoo. I liked his style but most importantly he’d done a lot of work in grays.

Is it done?
Nope, I’ll be getting it shaded on September 8th.

Is it still sore?
Nope, The soreness went away within 24 hours. It still has a little texture and it itches a bit, I guess that’s just the top layer of dead skin pealing off.

Where is it?
On my lower back, by my Swadhisthana Chakra

1. Yay 馃檪

Comment by animaetrix00 — August 18, 2004 @ 4:17 am

2. Heyyyyyyyyy, I likey!

Comment by jacquelyn4444 — August 18, 2004 @ 4:33 am

3. Now that you’ve invited me to two parties and commented on my LJ you’re going to have to go in the Friends list.
    Actions have consequences.

Comment by tone_milazzo — August 18, 2004 @ 5:39 am

4. Ha! Great minds think alike?

I already added you after you ‘handed me my ass’ yesterday in T.O.D.’s comments. Nice work, Gadget.

Comment by jacquelyn4444 — August 18, 2004 @ 5:52 am

5. I don’t suppose I get a say in the world-mixing going on here, do I?

Comment by danifesto — August 18, 2004 @ 6:15 am

6. G’head, Snookems…

Comment by jacquelyn4444 — August 18, 2004 @ 6:17 am

7. No! Stay out of it!

Comment by tone_milazzo — August 18, 2004 @ 6:17 am

8. No, you don’t.

Comment by radcapdotcom — August 18, 2004 @ 6:17 am

9. worlds colliding worlds colliding

Comment by animaetrix00 — August 18, 2004 @ 6:19 am

10. Aw, raspberries…

Comment by danifesto — August 18, 2004 @ 6:19 am

11. Awww, I guess you can see who *really* loves you, T.O.D… you need a hug?

BTW, if you are so “anti-worlds-colliding,” how would our love connection ever have happened? Mr. was Chuck Woolery for us, no?

Comment by jacquelyn4444 — August 18, 2004 @ 6:43 am

12. True dat.
    Very well, I will allow for the mingling of the tribes on a case-by-case basis…

Comment by danifesto — August 18, 2004 @ 7:43 am

13. Cool…a small part of my influence has been indelibly marked on you for life. As a bonus, you’ll purify your karma the more you stare at it, and the karma of anyone giving you a back massage.

I spent the weekend taking teachings from Ven. Robina Courtin of the Liberation Prison Project, who I understand offers tattoo advice, if you need more help on designs. 馃檪

Comment by modemx — August 20, 2004 @ 4:24 pm

14. Oh, yes, and did I mention it most certainly kicks much ass. Karmically speaking of course.

Comment by modemx — August 20, 2004 @ 4:37 pm

15. Cool! Yeah, I’m already thinking about what’ll be next.

Comment by tone_milazzo — August 21, 2004 @ 4:26 am

16. Sorry I just had to get in on the posting…way cool tattoo–its always nice when people get things that are actually important to them instead of doing it for the “hey look at my cute tattoo” thing.

Comment by uuhlisssuh — August 22, 2004 @ 11:54 pm

17. Thanks!
    But now I’ve got the addiction and I’ve realized that Ganesh going to be hard to top.

Comment by tone_milazzo — August 23, 2004 @ 2:49 am

18. Yeah…I could see how that could be…mind if I add you to my list?

Comment by uuhlisssuh — August 23, 2004 @ 3:55 am

19. Sure if you want to.
    But I’m kinda funny about my “Friends list”. I only friend people I’ve met (with one exception) so we’d have to have coffee or something before I friended you back.
    It’s just my funny little way.

Comment by tone_milazzo — August 24, 2004 @ 5:20 am

20. Totally cool. How do you feel about boba?

Comment by uuhlisssuh — August 24, 2004 @ 7:17 am

21. It’s fine as long as it’s optional. 馃檪
    I’ll be at the Green Tea House on Convoy Thursday evening, mostly talking with my collaborator on the next comic.
    Do you know where that is? I’ll be the white guy.

Comment by tone_milazzo — August 25, 2004 @ 9:18 am

22. What time? You don’t mind me hanging out? And you draw comic strips?

Comment by uuhlisssuh — August 25, 2004 @ 9:48 am

23. No I write them. Charlie (this is his hang-out) draws them.
    We’ll probably be there about 8pm

Comment by tone_milazzo — August 25, 2004 @ 10:25 am

24. What is the premise behind these comics? So I don’t appear too ignorant. :p

Comment by uuhlisssuh — August 25, 2004 @ 11:24 am

25. Okay, so I’m wondering: how do you feel about Balboa Park?

Comment by uuhlisssuh — August 25, 2004 @ 2:54 pm

26. I’ve got nothing against it.

Comment by tone_milazzo — August 26, 2004 @ 6:06 am

27. It’s an action/adventure scfi/fantasy manga-like story.
    The first part of a trilogy about a group or recruits getting ambushed on their way to a para-military training camp.

Yeah, it’s a little cheesy.

Comment by tone_milazzo — August 26, 2004 @ 6:09 am

28. maybe. but it depends who you’re asking. i’ll try to make it tonight, if a little asian girl doesn’t approach you my apologies ahead of time but we are so going and doing something soon!

Comment by uuhlisssuh — August 26, 2004 @ 6:59 am

29. Well if you’ve got an eye for art let’s go next weekend!

Comment by uuhlisssuh — August 26, 2004 @ 7:02 am

30. Change of plan. It looks like we’ll be at Twigg’s in University Heights.
    It sounds like you don’t like The Green Tea House anyway.

Comment by tone_milazzo — August 26, 2004 @ 8:23 am

31. That is so not the case–I love boba and I have never even been to the green tea place—i just meant when the meetup wasn’t like a “sci-fi” meetup or something (not that i don’t like sci-fi). Argh I’ll explain it to you when meet. :p

Comment by uuhlisssuh — August 26, 2004 @ 9:05 am

32. > What is twiggs?

Just another neo-bohemian coffee shop. This was Charlie’s idea, which is very uncharacteristic of him to leave the Convoy area.

See you there.

Comment by tone_milazzo — August 26, 2004 @ 9:08 am

33. I guess we were at different place.
    Sorry about that.