Big plans

This is the second consecutive week without work from Protocol and it dosen’t sound like I’ll be called into the office anytime soon. I’m too stressed out to write so instead I’ll be:

• Getting my own webserver.
    Having one career isn’t very secure. It would be nice to be able to apply to all those sysadmin jobs that can’t be outsourced to India, and both so-then.org and my writer page have had problems with their databases and reliability, so I’m going to do it myself. Right now I’m looking at a $500 server, Hopefully it’ll be up sometime this week. After I get my sites moved over to the server I’d be willing to host sites for you people too.
  • Thinking about grad school again. I’ve been reluctant to throw more time and money down the hole of education but this bachelor’s degree thing isn’t happening either.
    I’ll probably go for a masters in Computer Science. I was looking at Cryptography and Security, but my background lends itself to Artificial Intelligence. Today I’ve been looking for faculty at UCSD who are working with Swarm Intelligence.
  • And I might be volunteering for the San Diego Asian Film Foundation. Not being asian myself I believe they’ll enslave me, force me to build a railroad and then execute me in retaliation.
    Good stuff.

In other news; Anatomically Incorrect & Ethically Challenged is being modified for publication in pacific REVIEW! (just some font changes, I’m not being censored) At least the comic book writing thing is coming along…

1. Hey if you’re not doing anything Friday night, you should go to the bonfire I’m having! Bring Charlie and Debbie and whomever you want. 馃槈

Comment by uuhlisssuh — September 27, 2004 @ 10:51 am

2. If you want to barter doing remote system administration for bandwidth and server facilities, I’ might have a deal for you. You can help setup a hosting business and/or run one of your own. Give me a call.

Comment by modemx — September 28, 2004 @ 12:55 am

3. Congratulations on the PACIFIC REVIEW!! Let me know when it comes out, so I can have a read.

Comment by mollymillions — September 28, 2004 @ 1:52 am

4. Thanks, but I think I should have my own system, for the experience and in case I screw something up I’m only hurting myself.

Comment by tone_milazzo — September 28, 2004 @ 5:51 am

5. Thanks, but I’m booked this week.
    I’ll let C&D know though.

Comment by tone_milazzo — September 28, 2004 @ 5:52 am

6. You’ll hear it here first!

Comment by tone_milazzo — September 28, 2004 @ 5:53 am

7. Oh, but the thrill of knowing you could screw up thousands of customers with a keystroke makes you a much more mindful hacker. 馃槈

Comment by modemx — September 29, 2004 @ 12:47 am

8. PS — Lemme know if you find a cheap 1U rack case, if you are going with a rackable solution. Typically, the less space you take up the lower the price for your colocation space.

If you are going with a home cable modem solution, you’ll want a router that supports built in dynamic DNS, like the D-Link ones do. Even the cheapy cable modems support this.

If you are building your own Internet server, ABIT makes a cool board with built in SSL encryption hardware.

Comment by modemx — September 29, 2004 @ 2:08 am