Alternitive Press Expo

APE is like Comic Con, but without all commercialism and Klingons that exploit and embarrass fans of serious sequential art.
Of the books that I bought (which is less than the number of books that I wanted but greater than the number of books that I could reasonably afford) these are my favorites:
Dorothy

Yep, that Dorothy. Baum’s novel as a 21st century fumetti comic. But don’t expect any ruby slippers here, elements unique to the movie are still the property of Warner Bros. (Funny how intellectual properties laws work isn’t it?)

Instead, expect a rebellious teenage girl from Kansas with a pink streak dyed in her hair and a pierced lip, with a robot dog and …?
Well it’s only the second issue so she still hasn’t met the Scarecrow yet.

Site: http://dorothyofoz.net/

Video

This time the resurrection will be televised.

This is Stephen R. Buell’s book about religion and the media. Jesus returns and the media circus begins, and four twenty-somethings try to make sense of it all.

Is God on TV, or is your TV god?

Site: http://lostinthedark.com/video/video.html

House of Twelve

One of the better anthology comics I’ve seen. And their extensive website means I can keep this plug short. Each issue has a theme, issue number one’s was the search for god, and the second issue’s was sci-fi. Issue three’s theme will be obscenity; I’m looking forward to it.

Site: http://houseoftwelve.com/

Flight vol. 2

This 431 page, $25 dollar anthology is one of the best entertainment values you’ll find anywhere.

Flight is the gallery nucleus
showcase for comic talent. Over 32 creators are involved, too many to list here. If you don’t like mainstream comics this is for you.

Site: http://www.flightcomics.com/

1. Dorothy and Video appeal to me. Is there any way I could get my hands on them?

Comment by teawiththecheat — April 24, 2005 @ 1:32 pm

2. more specifically is there any way I could find the first Chapter of Dorothy?…everything else was easy to find.

Comment by teawiththecheat — April 24, 2005 @ 1:38 pm

3. I think you’re going to have to hold out for a second printing. Dorothy is going to be covered in an Oz fan magazine and if the publishers are smart they’ll have more #1’s to sell.

They blog though LJ @ .

Comment by tone_milazzo — April 24, 2005 @ 1:54 pm

4. DUDE!! Dorothy looks AWESOME!!! So does Flight!! I’m gonna wanna get my hands on Dorothy I think, the mostest.

Comment by keening — April 24, 2005 @ 3:24 pm

5. Thanks! Any Chance they’ed be at the San Diego Comic Con–more Dorothy that is?

Comment by teawiththecheat — April 24, 2005 @ 3:38 pm

6. If they’re smart there will be.

Comment by tone_milazzo — April 24, 2005 @ 4:08 pm

7. Um…would you be so kind as to get one for me and I’ll reinburst you? *please* 馃檪

Comment by teawiththecheat — April 24, 2005 @ 4:31 pm

8. Sure thing!

Comment by tone_milazzo — April 25, 2005 @ 7:01 am

9. RoXoR!

Comment by teawiththecheat — April 25, 2005 @ 7:05 am

10. Hey there,

Just found this lovely little LJ and your question and I wanted to let you know that yes we will be at ComicCon. If you’d like to join our googlegroup email list we let everyone know when and where we are places. We also have an LJ that you can find us at.

Have you gotten your Chapter I yet? If not, tell me where you live and I’ll find a local store that carries it for ya.

Anna