MapSexOffenders.com is a useful little service that combines Google Maps with the sex offender databases of 38 states.

Of course the first thing I did was search my zip code (Take a moment to search your own neighborhoods, I know you’re going to.) No, I’m not on there, but I did notice that Donald Bayard (LEWD OR LASCIVIOUS ACTS WITH CHILD UNDER 14 YEARS) is living a block or two away from two schools.

Now I know that it’s hard to live away from a school since they’re everywhere and I’m sure that this guy paid his dues and all that.

It’s still really creepy.

1. The schools are everywhere, or the sex offenders? Because my map looks like a confetti sprinkled cake.

Comment by keening — October 18, 2005 @ 3:38 pm

2. Wow… not a single red dot in my new neighborhood, or in my parents’ hood.

(However, the map of my old place looks like it has measles! There were at least 40 red dots within a mile or two of our place in Oak Park. Scary!)

Comment by jacquelyn4444 — October 18, 2005 @ 4:20 pm

3. I checked it out too, and found some implausibilities myself after searching around various locations. Turns out sometimes the app doesn’t automatically refresh the red dots — you have to press the “…PinPoint…” button just above the map for that to happen. (I found one or two nearby your new place — more than a few blocks away, although one was questionable — he may have just moved.)

[Thanks for the link, Tone. BTW, I think it’s great how they can fine-tune Google Maps so much that any educational institute is called out on the map, did you notice that?]

Comment by radcapdotcom — October 18, 2005 @ 4:58 pm

4. Smartie Pants! 馃槈

Comment by jacquelyn4444 — October 18, 2005 @ 5:11 pm

5. Both.

Comment by tone_milazzo — October 18, 2005 @ 6:03 pm

6. My guess is that the “…Pinpoint…” button is a work around until they figure out why sometimes the map loads without the molesters.

I say “molesters” because that’s all I have in my neighborhood. But Dan’s got some real, serious rapists in his ‘hood.

I didn’t notice that they added the school locations, that’s pretty swift!

My roommate just called this site “Google Molesters”.

Comment by tone_milazzo — October 18, 2005 @ 6:13 pm

7. There’s one on the next street (within walking distance who raped someone by force. GOODIE, I’M SO TELLING MY PARENTS.

And there are like, three pedophiles near at least two schools. But you know, the kids brought it on themselves, they’re to share the blame, God made that perfect ruby starfruit…

Comment by hezaakun — October 18, 2005 @ 9:28 pm

8. dude, i have some serious rapists around my neighborhood. not telling my bf about this, that’s for sure. one guy is a repeated offender of sexual abuse and lavicious acts with children (with force). he lives about 2 blocks away from me

Comment by dibbs858 — October 19, 2005 @ 10:59 am