Yeah, whatever…

At the airport gate passengers were stopped and asked to remove all liquids and semi-solids from their luggage, out them in a ziplock bag and pass them through the x-ray independently of the rest of the luggage.

• Toothpaste and shaving cream in a travel bag: Allah Akbar.
  • Toothpaste and shaving cream in a plastic bag: Let the eagle soar.

But unopened bottles are exempt from the search so this won’t stop someone from emptying a larger bottle without breaking the seal and filling that bottle with… I’m still not clear on what. I guess they could bring bleach and ammonia and make some chlorine gas in the sink?
It’s just another one of the lies the airlines tell you to make you feel better about flying. Like the seatbelt hand-jive at the start of every flight:

• Be sure to fasten your seatbelt- because that will save you if we hit the ground at 600mph.
  • Your seat can be used as a flotation device- if you weigh 30 pounds.
  • Turn off all cell phones and other electronic devices- your mp3 player doesn’t produce enough EMF to interfere with the plane, the pilot just doesn’t like your taste in music.

Lies to make us feel better about flying. Which is just a subset of the lies society tells us to make us feel better about living:

• Your government is looking out for you.
  • Good eventually wins out over Evil.
  • There are such things as Good and Evil.
  • Life has value.
  • Justice.
  • God moves in mysterious ways.
  • God.

I used to want societies lies to be true so strongly that I’d deny any evidence to the contrary.
Then I entered a bargaining phase: “Maybe some of these rules are lies, but not the important ones.”
I don’t know if it’s the Buddhism or the Cognitive Science but now I’ve come to terms with all life being an illusion and the lies don’t bother me anymore, as long as I recognize them for what they are.

1. Actually, the human body is very near to buoyantly neutral without air. With air, we’re pretty buoyant, so anything that floats is good for adding an hour or so before fatigue sets in.

The seatbelts are for turbulence, not for impact.

The cellphone thing is a lie, but it’s more of an attempt to make sure you at least hear the safety jingle and listen to directions during embark and debark.

P.S. Government is wrong.

Comment by jonthegm — November 30, 2006 @ 1:16 pm

2. I had written an extensive deconstruction of the airliner seatbelt, but it was cut for time.

I once left my cellphone on in my luggage for an entire flight and the plane didn’t crash once.

I still say government is better than the alternative.

Comment by tone_milazzo — November 30, 2006 @ 1:56 pm

3. As an ardent rational-anarchist, I must object as the case made it clear that cultural isolation was the problem with this one. Government seems to be good at getting people in remote locations to do stuff, but once they’re all interconnected and information travels freely, government has to do more to keep control. (And the less it’s needed, in my opinion.)

Comment by jonthegm — November 30, 2006 @ 2:05 pm

4. Also, anecdotal evidence does not imply causality.

Comment by jonthegm — November 30, 2006 @ 2:06 pm

5. We can go round ‘n’ round on this forever. I’m just citing the Pitcairn situation as an example of what happens to people with desires, power and no restraints.

Go ahead and form an anarchist commune and prove me wrong. (Take Greenland, no one is using it for anything.) I bet that within one or two generations the society will deteriorate into barbarism.

Comment by tone_milazzo — November 30, 2006 @ 2:15 pm

6. I’d do it if I didn’t have to deal with ingrained cultural upbringing that trains us in the fact that you have to take what you want to the fullest extent that the government can’t hold you back.

Also, nationalism needs to die too, but I guess that extends off the above point.

Complete interconnectivity between all world people would also help.

But again, we could go on forever and not come close to convincing the other.

Comment by jonthegm — November 30, 2006 @ 2:24 pm

7. >But again, we could go on forever and not come close to convincing the other.

How about a change of topic:

Fark > Somethingawful