Three reasons I didn’t pay much attention to the Virginia Tech shootings:

1. I don’t have a television
  2. I knew from past experience that the media wasn’t going to have much in the way of facts and I didn’t want to be exposed to their fiction
  3. I’ve become jaded by man’s inhumanity to man

One day later and some real facts are starting to appear. The one that concerns me; the shooter is a South Korean, resident alien of the United States.
I just don’t feel safe anymore. [This is a joke. See the comments.]

Seriously though, how long before the media blames StarCraft for the shootings?

1. I must take issue with your concern that he was a resident alien. I’m not sure why that’s a concern, especially since he’s not a recent immigrant. He’s been living here since 1992, when he was 8 years old. Why he never got citizenship is beyond me, but that’s a decade and a half as a resident of the United States growing up in an affluent community. He wasn’t poor and he wasn’t foreign to American life or university life. What he was, was fucked in the head, and those types come in every conceivable flavor.

Comment by avantard — April 17, 2007 @ 9:56 am

2. The funny lies in the fact that my roommate is a South Korean resident alien (or something, like that, he’s not a citizen).

Comment by tone_milazzo — April 17, 2007 @ 10:04 am

3. Oh! I was not aware of this. So, you weren’t being serious? Doh!

Comment by avantard — April 17, 2007 @ 10:06 am

4. I watched it unfold in Something Awful’s General Bullshit, and oh man… it was spooky.

Watching poor idiots celebrate the curtailment of classes just before the first fatality reports came in over the police band that some other VT goons were listening on. Then around page 20 or so, someone started posting statements from their brother who was in a class the shooter walked into and shot up.

It was so unreal getting information 2 hours ahead of cnn.com.

Comment by jonthegm — April 17, 2007 @ 11:18 am

5. Nope, he only hates half-Mexicans.

Comment by danifesto — April 17, 2007 @ 12:17 pm

6. And was about to start railing at you about legal immigrants founding this country. My family is full of them, and though a lot of my family annoys me, they’re all law abiding residents of this country. Its the ones who are all-American that worry me more.

-Nani

Comment by anonymous — April 17, 2007 @ 12:39 pm

7. Oh well that’s OK then.

Comment by avantard — April 17, 2007 @ 1:08 pm

8. Lucky for everyone the only shooting I do these days is with a camera.

That’s the ironic thing, I mean potentially I’m a helluva lot more dangerous than this pathetic psycho was.

I’ve got:

-Six years in the Marines
    -Trained with SAW’s, M-60’s, 50 cal’s, MK-19′, grenades, claymore mines
    -Marine Corps qualified as Rifle Expert (which means I can hit a man-sized target from 500 yards away 8 out of 10 times without a scope)
    -Best shot in my company with the M16A2 (took the range)
    -Trained by the corps in knife fighting, and basic HTH including bayonet
    -Trained for fire team, squad, and platoon tactics
    -Urban mount training and tactics
    -I hold a black belt in Tae Kwon Do, competed and ranked at State Level
    -I’m acrobatic (can do sommersaults and back flips)
    -Practiced in Capoeira
    -Computer network technician

Holy Shit! I am practically Batman! The only thing I need is criminal forensics, some investigative skills, and a cowl…

Wait. I’m social, and I spend most of my time, dancing, drawing, reading, and taking photos.

Same thing with Tone, he’s just as trained up the wazoo to kill people, and he’s a budding novelist, who’s into metaphysical religions/philosophy.

Then again I’ve never actually played StarCraft, unlike Tone…

Comment by e_c_d_u_b — April 17, 2007 @ 1:52 pm

9. Seriously though, how long before the media blames StarCraft for the shootings?

He didn’t blame Starcraft, but Jack “A copy of Grand Theft Auto raped my mother and killed my dog” Thompson was on FOX tying it all into video games inside eight hours.

Comment by iron_spike — April 17, 2007 @ 2:18 pm

10. Hey, Dave’s on that list, too!

Comment by jacquelyn4444 — April 17, 2007 @ 2:39 pm

11. I think Dan’s just a special case 馃槢

Comment by mollymillions — April 17, 2007 @ 3:27 pm

12. Probably before the shooter was even identified…

Comment by tone_milazzo — April 17, 2007 @ 4:01 pm