My grown-up vacation (no sleeping on floors or couches) with the lovely and talented,
- We arrived at the Berkeley hotel tired and hungry. Remained tired and hungry for over an hour while we tried to find a restaurant that was open in the afternoon.
- After some rest we walked up the the Telegraph area trying to find a bar that was open after nine.
- Lesson learned: Berkeley keeps European hours.
- We caught a ride with the Smangs down to Mountain View.
- Had lunch with
and Jim, a former co-worker from SportVision (fuck Sportvision)
- Jim gave us a ride in his red ’61 Lincoln Continental convertible up to Palo Alto.
- Riding in big old cars like that feels like riding in a boat
- We got a couple’s massage at a day spa in downtown Palo Alto, I think this is where my troubles began. During the massage I noticed my sinuses were feeling raw. Melmel suggested that the steam from the sauna might have jacked up my nose innards and I think she’s right.
- Caught up with the Smangs on the Stanford campus, got a ride back to Berkeley with a brief stop in The City to dodge traffic.
- Dinner with Jen-Jen and her new fella, Ken who seems pretty cool and not just because he knows MC Frontalot personally.
- During post-dinner tea I was informed by consensus that I looked like crap and they took me back to the room.
- I loaded up on cold remedies and tried to kick my cold’s ass with rest and orange juice while
and played ‘Let’s dress Melissa’ at H&M.
- By the evening I was able to BART into The City and made it to The Stinking Rose for a 40 clove garlic chicken.
- Loaded up on DayQuil before Melmel and I got a ride into The City with
and for the scheduled trip to Alcatraz [pics]. Sometime during the forest ranger’s ‘welcome to the rock speech’ the worst of my cold broke and I quite enjoyed the rest of the day and tried to push my camera’s memory card to it’s limit [the streets of San Francisco]
- Caught lunch with Cramer, another former co-worker from SportVision (fuck Sportvision).
- Visited Comic Relief, a few book stores and some coffee and then BARTed down to the airport.
- Saw into Laurenn McCubbin while we were stuck in the security cow pen. She was on her way back home to KC, I’m sure it freaked her out, running into the vaguely familiar stranger attends all her panels every Comic Con.
- Got back to San Diego on time with is more than I can say for our bags. Mistakenly put on another flight to SD we were told promises and lies by Southwest airlines and eventually gave up and went home. I ran back down to get our bags Tuesday morning but I wasn’t able to sleep very well, I just lay in bed calculating how much replacing everything in my bag would cost.
Vacations are more fun with money, but I don’t think we’ll be staying in Berkeley again. It was further away from our points of interest than I thought it would be. Somehow, Berkeley was even far from Berkeley.