The Next Tattoo

As a reward for not buying a Macbook Pro I’m getting another tattoo. I’ve been researching symbols of change that I can have permanently etched into my skin as a half sleeve.

So far I’ve found:

1. The Wheel of Fortune – The Tarot card, not the game show
  2. Death the end of things. I should have something to counter Death.
  3. Nea Onnim No Sua A, Ohu, Mmere Dane, Nkyinkyim, and Sesa Woruban from West Africa
  4. The Yin Yang has become a tattoo cliche but as I understand it the wavy line between the halves symbolizes how what is yin one day can become yang the next. If I do use the Yin Yang it’ll be real subtle, maybe the hub of the Wheel of Fortune.
  5. πάντα χωρεῖ καὶ οὐδὲν μένει – attributed to Heraclitus. It means “Everything flows and nothing is left unchanged”
  6. An Integral from 0 to infinity, I’m not sure what the function will be.
  7. The roman goddess Fortuna
  8. The Hindu god Shiva

Know any others?

And I’m still thinking about how the symbols are going to be arranged. My first instinct is to have them falling down from my shoulder where symbols of good change will fall down my chest, bad change down my back and ambivalent change down my arm. But I’m not sure how that will work as a static piece.

My second instinct is to have them all arranged around, and incorporated into the Wheel of Fortune.

It’s tempting to have Fortuna, dancing as Shiva with the Wheel of Fortune behind her as her halo but that’s too close to my first tat.

1. I vote Mmere Dane. West African symbols are not played out, and it looks kind of like the Green Lantern symbol.

Comment by danifesto — May 10, 2007 @ 10:52 am

2. I’m planning a sort of collage.

Comment by tone_milazzo — May 10, 2007 @ 10:56 am

3. i’d say you’re off to a good start–if you need any ideas on the actual layout, maybe i could help down the line.

Comment by bottlroktt — May 10, 2007 @ 11:16 am

4. The moth from the Silence of the Lambs poster is a great symbol of change.

Sure, it symbolizes change via a self-procured woman suit. Still…

Comment by radcapdotcom — May 10, 2007 @ 2:20 pm

5. The Phoenix is a symbol of change and rebirth. Butterflies as well all though that could be a little too girly.

Comment by thebarefootrose — May 10, 2007 @ 5:34 pm

6. I’m having similar musings myself, to either incorporate into my sleeve or for my next piece. I’m thinking of something within a mandorla. Yin yang is good but you’re definitely right about the cliche bit. =//

Gotta say I don’t really like any of the images on your list from the wiki entries, but the Wheel of Fortune could make for something really bad-ass custom.

*ponders*

Are you having Bill do this one, too?

Comment by animaetrix00 — May 10, 2007 @ 6:43 pm

7. Of course.

Comment by tone_milazzo — May 10, 2007 @ 7:19 pm

8. yay! i really adore him now after my first meeting. i cant wait for him to start inking me. =) I told him you were part of the reason i picked him and he was verra pleased.

Comment by animaetrix00 — May 10, 2007 @ 7:29 pm

9. Do you think the “falling down from my shoulder” layout could work?

Comment by tone_milazzo — May 10, 2007 @ 10:17 pm

10. When are you going down there?

Comment by tone_milazzo — May 10, 2007 @ 10:19 pm

11. The design appt was last Sunday and my first appt to get started on the work is June 3rd, but he stuck me on the call list so I’m hoping to get yanked in before that.

First session or two is prolly just working on touching up my old one and some basic stuffs though. ~_~

Comment by animaetrix00 — May 10, 2007 @ 10:35 pm

12. Gives new meaning to “It puts the lotion on its skin…”

Comment by danifesto — May 11, 2007 @ 3:39 pm

13. i’d have to see your rough version of it–maybe you could email me a sketch once the idea comes together?

Comment by bottlroktt — May 14, 2007 @ 5:18 pm

14. it’s funny….i was searching on google for a cool, yet impactful “agent of change” as my 1st tattoo for my 34th birthday in a few weeks, when i came across your “next tattoo” blog…ah, the irony!

what did u decide to get? im real close to the mmere dane myself…the “look” is cool, i dig what it represents, and it’s not as “out there” as other designs are…

Comment by anonymous — March 24, 2008 @ 10:08 am

15. I got this far but the tattoo artist said that it wouldn’t last as an upper arm piece. That it’d be a blurred mess in three years.

Comment by tone_milazzo — March 24, 2008 @ 2:15 pm