Crass Consumerism.

While combs through eBay and Craigslist for wedding dresses I’ve been focused like a laser on the Sharp Aquos 32-inch 1080p LCD HDTV.

The 1080p resolution is a bit overkill, apparently it’s only good for a few games on the PS3 and we’re just getting a Wii, but I’m keeping an eye on the future and I figure if we ever outgrow this TV I can use it as a computer monitor.

Rumor has it that Sony’s going to start an LCD price war next month and I’ve already seen the price on this model drop $115. So for the next two months I’ll be checking the price on this everyday and whispering, “Soon… soon…”

1. Will you be “whistering” or “whispering”?

Love you!

Comment by mollymillions — May 9, 2008 @ 12:02 pm

2. “whistering”. I invented it myself.

Comment by tone_milazzo — May 9, 2008 @ 12:19 pm

3. Well here’s a better deal:

It’s for a Samsung 37inch 1080p LCD for 1026.00
    For about $35 more you get 5″ of screen real estate, more inputs/outputs, and Samsung is a brand name with better warranties.

I know the allure of 1080p is tempting, but seriously consider getting a 720p.

The simple fact is that with any TV’s in the 32″ range or larger is going to require you to be several feet away to see the entire picture in your field of vision. But once you back up to 5 away from the screen, no human eye is capable of distinguishing the difference between 1080p and 720p at that distance.

Marketing people will tell you other wise, but they would be lying.

I’d say 1080p vs 720p is not as important as the following other factors:

-Refresh rate
    -Contrast ratio (sharper image)
    -HDMI in/out (so you can hook up directly to a PC or game console)
    -Quality of built-in speakers
    -Warranty
    -Size Dimensions

But if you are going for it, I’d say go with a Samsung.

Happy hunting!

Comment by e_c_d_u_b — May 9, 2008 @ 2:02 pm

4. If course I’d like to go bigger but the thing is we have just enough room for a 32″ set.

>And honestly using something that size as a PC monitor is kind of impractical, unless you’ve got a media center/living room PC with wireless remote keyboard and mouse.

That’s the plan.

Comment by tone_milazzo — May 9, 2008 @ 2:11 pm

5. I managed to get my sweet tv for 996 dollars. It’s Westinghouse and when compared side by side with other TVs I felt it was just as great. And I didn’t pay shipping, however it was pretty hard to get it from my car to my house solo….

Comment by hezaakun — May 13, 2008 @ 9:14 pm

6. Have you ever tried watching ABC’s web player thought the Wii?
    I watch Lost on their site and the picture on my laptop is amazing. I’m curious if the Wii is just as good.

Comment by tone_milazzo — May 14, 2008 @ 8:48 am

7. I took a look at this model and the Sharp model I was interested in at Fry’s and I think I’m going to go with the Samsung after all. The tie breaking features: Nicer Menus and the swivel base.

I had the 1080p and the 720p next to each other and looked back and forth for an hour and I noticed two ways the 1080p was stronger.
    1) For small palette graphics the 1080p was nice and clear, the 720p had jaggys or other artifects around the edges.
    2) When they pixelized they both pixilized over the same area but on the 1080p, since the pixel blocks are smaller it’s less of an eyesore.

Comment by tone_milazzo — May 18, 2008 @ 10:05 pm