The Great White North

Melmel and I are thinking about spending Memorial weekend in LA.

As I’m thinking about it I realize that I don’t know crap about LA.

I usually end up in the Hollywood area because there’s always something to do up there and if anything there’s Amoeba Music and it’s close to Amy’s new hood.

Anyone know a good hotel in that area? Someplace with character?

1. I gots some ideas. . . maybe a native can give us some input on them.

Movieland wax museum?

La Brea Tar pits?

Chinatown?

Comment by mollymillions — May 13, 2008 @ 11:12 am

2. Oh! I’ve never been to the La Brea Tar pits!

Comment by tone_milazzo — May 13, 2008 @ 11:13 am

3. Me neither!

Frank was just in LA a little while ago. You should skim his blog and see if there was anything he found particularly cool.

Comment by mollymillions — May 13, 2008 @ 11:14 am

4. My mom loved both the tar pits and the wax museum. I can ask her where they stayed when they went down to see King Tut. I know it was near Hollywood.

(for reference, my mom is known to love cheesy and tacky things)

Comment by jessimuhka — May 13, 2008 @ 11:22 am

5. I’m right there with her 馃檪

Comment by mollymillions — May 13, 2008 @ 11:29 am

6. The tar pits suck. =P The museum along with them is pretty ok though.

The Getty.. Griffith Observatory.. Mulholland Drive.. the Arclight theater..

Only hotel I’ve stayed in up there is the Renaissance by the Chinese Theater in Hollywood for Labyrinth of Jareth. It’s pricey, though. Oh, and I’ve stayed at the Motel 6 in Hollywood. 馃槢 Not as scary as I woulda thought!

Comment by animaetrix00 — May 13, 2008 @ 1:33 pm

7. I kinda love the Tarpits. And, of course, Meltdown & Golden Apple.

Comment by danifesto — May 13, 2008 @ 2:30 pm

8. What are Meldown and Golden Apple?

Comment by mollymillions — May 13, 2008 @ 2:55 pm

9. Two fine comic stores.
    Meltdown is also a pop art gallery. Last time I was there, they had the largest collection of Wonder Woman paraphernalia I’ve ever seen, as well as some art pieces done by Roman Dirge.

Comment by danifesto — May 13, 2008 @ 3:01 pm

10. I want to go!

Comment by mollymillions — May 13, 2008 @ 3:07 pm

11. this one or was it this one?

Comment by tone_milazzo — May 13, 2008 @ 5:06 pm

12. The Museum of Jurassic Technology

The Getty is rad. I’ll also recommend LACMA; their new contemporary art wing is the shit, particularly if you like Warhol, Cindy Sherman, and the recently croaked Robert Rauschenberg.

Comment by the_bone — May 13, 2008 @ 6:16 pm

13. Oh, and Roy Lichtenstein. He’s kinda comic-booky.

Comment by the_bone — May 13, 2008 @ 6:22 pm

14. The 2nd, Renaissance Hollywood Hotel. It was really nice! Plus it’s sort of attached to that mall so there are stores and restaurants and stuff all right there and you can watch all the costumed people parading in front of the Chinese Theater.

Comment by animaetrix00 — May 13, 2008 @ 6:49 pm

15. SUCK?!?! OMG *smack*

The tar pits ruled! I thin you have to be into paleontology to “dig it” though.

Comment by avantard — May 13, 2008 @ 9:27 pm

16. Thumbs up to the La Brea Tar Pits, LACMA, and the Getty. There is much to be enjoyed at LACMA, even if your taste (like mine) doesn’t run to the most modern of the modern art.

I don’t know anything about hotels up there, but I like the cool old signs the Knickerbocker (no longer a hotel) and the Roosevelt have (both seem to be of similar vintage as the El Cortez).

Comment by kirinqueen — May 13, 2008 @ 11:25 pm

17. Another suggestion if you have any like for cars (some that were in movies), the Petersen Auto Museum is right near LACMA and the tar pits and is totally worth it.

Comment by melampous — May 14, 2008 @ 10:56 am